Unmatched transactions accumulate in QuickBooks for a variety of reasons that range from corrupted bank download files to incorrect matching practices. Whatever the cause, the general consensus is that these unmatched transactions are unwanted and annoying; having to wade through them on a regular basis to find the transactions that need to be matched is a chore. Unfortunately, a method to delete unmatched transactions is not readily apparent in on the Match Transactions section in QuickBooks.
There is some info available on the Intuit support forms; however, it’s pretty messy and takes awhile to dig through so we have pulled everything together into a concise set of steps that can be followed to remove unwanted, unmatched transactions:
- Make sure you have matched all the transactions that you want to match and that only unwanted transactions remain unmatched.
- From the top menu select Banking > Online Banking > Online Banking Center (the menu options may be slightly different if you are using a version of QB other than QB 2011 Pro, but essentially all you need to do is get to the Online Banking Center).
- In the lower box in the Online Banking Center titled Items Received From Financial Institution, highlight the institution for which you want to the delete unmatched transactions.
- On the right side of the screen, click the Delete button.
- All set! You should not encounter any unmatched transactions. However, as unmatched transactions do accumulate over time, you’ll probably want to follow these steps to clean them out periodically.
Note: We use QuickBooks Pro 2011, but this method should work for all versions that allow the download of bank data.